Blois Summer Games | Team Signup

kendallhart808
Director of Infrastructure
Director of Infrastructure
Nation: Carolina

Blois Summer Games | Team Signup

Postby kendallhart808 » September 17th 2017, 8:28 am

Sorry for taking so long, but Summer is finally approaching in the city of Blois!
After reviewing the Winter Games, Kendall and I quickly identified the shortcomings - too many events, 94 in fact. So this time, rather than trying to cover as many Olympic sports and events as possible, we narrowed it down to 41 events - with Swimming having the most (We felt this was appropriate considering the popularity of the sport. Another issue we found was the administrative burden of dealing with athlete names for all of the events. This has been removed. One thing athlete names did do, is refect the funding and popularity of a sport or an event in a nation - i.e. 5 athletics for a sport would sow higher funding than 1 or 0. Having 5 athletes would also increase the chance of winning, naturally. To still maintain this level of realism, for each sport, there is a funding slider, so depending on the popularity of the sport in your country, please select an appropriate value, which will increase the prominence of your country in that support. Please do not though, that if you select 5 for all 10 sports, you will not be winning everything :lol:

The event list is as follows:
• Basketball (2)
► Show Spoiler

• Cycling (2)
► Show Spoiler

• Diving (4)
► Show Spoiler

• Golf (2)
► Show Spoiler

• Gymnastics (4)
► Show Spoiler

• Rowing (6)
► Show Spoiler

• Sailing (6)
► Show Spoiler

• Swimming (10)
► Show Spoiler

• Tennis (3)
► Show Spoiler

• Beach Volleyball (2)
► Show Spoiler

10 sports; 41 events

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Signed up Nations:
► Show Spoiler

Sponsorships:
► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler
Otto
Site Administrator
Nation: Kingston and Boyce

Re: Blois Summer Games | Team Signup

Postby Otto » September 17th 2017, 12:56 pm

No other ball games? What about hockey? What about soccer? Or athletics? All scrapped?
What a shame
Michael
Nation: Mikenstein

Postby Michael » September 17th 2017, 2:45 pm

Otto wrote:No other ball games? What about hockey? What about soccer? Or athletics? All scrapped?
What a shame

They were never advertised in the candidate thread, actually.
Soccer we though shouldn't be added, since it is already covered by the long established AFA. Athletics adds a lot of events, and even if we just had track events, it would still add a lot of work. We (Kendall and I) would rather do fewer events well, then cram too much in and do it worse.
Image---------------Image
WikiForum-----------------------------WikiForum----

Member State since 5th March 2016
Global Moderator since 4th March 2017
Send me a message!
Agunter999
Nation: Freiga

Postby Agunter999 » September 17th 2017, 4:46 pm

An Olympics without the athletics is a bit well, like going train spotting on a disused railway. Its like the main feature I think you should look again at the sports you have selected.
Michael

Postby Michael » September 17th 2017, 6:17 pm

Agunter999 wrote:An Olympics without the athletics is a bit well, like going train spotting on a disused railway. Its like the main feature I think you should look again at the sports you have selected.

As I've said to Otto, adding it adds too many events. Depending on how we get on with 41 events, more may be added in the future.
We are running all of the advertised sports. The event list will not change.

Send me a message!
jmsepe
Director of Economics
Director of Economics
Nation: Teiko

Postby jmsepe » September 17th 2017, 11:32 pm

Guys, there are ten sports. Given that each can send the highest 5 in each sport, I think every nation should be given 30 points, nations who bid should be given 35 points and host nation should be given 40 points. In this way, every member can only spend the amount of points they have and should really focus on the sport their country is good at. Given the current situation, I can basically put 4 points in all sports.
What good would it bring if a man gains the whole world but loses his soul the one he loves?
Michael

Postby Michael » September 18th 2017, 5:10 am

jmsepe wrote:Guys, there are ten sports. Given that each can send the highest 5 in each sport, I think every nation should be given 30 points, nations who bid should be given 35 points and host nation should be given 40 points. In this way, every member can only spend the amount of points they have and should really focus on the sport their country is good at. Given the current situation, I can basically put 4 points in all sports.

Goodness JM. We're not that advanced. :lol:
It's no about spending a quote of points. It's about giving a guidance of popularity and relative funding asa result of popularity.
It's nothing serious, just something to add as a consideration when calculating results.

Send me a message!
jmsepe
Director of Economics
Director of Economics
Nation: Teiko

Postby jmsepe » September 18th 2017, 8:46 am

Still, what stops nation from putting 5 in all categories?
What good would it bring if a man gains the whole world but loses his soul the one he loves?
rhkobayashi
Nation: Wilfran and Rapha

Postby rhkobayashi » September 18th 2017, 12:26 pm

Agunter999 wrote:An Olympics without the athletics is a bit well, like going train spotting on a disused railway. Its like the main feature I think you should look again at the sports you have selected.

is really sad Agunter999!

Among all, athletics is one of the modality that should never be forgotten in this type of event.
Agunter999
Nation: Freiga

Postby Agunter999 » September 19th 2017, 9:18 am

Next time I suggest we vote on events with some wildcards thrown in? instead of cutting important ones out!
Michael

Postby Michael » September 19th 2017, 1:09 pm

Agunter999 wrote:Next time I suggest we vote on events with some wildcards thrown in? instead of cutting important ones out!

I'll leave that final decision to Kendall, though considering he and I organised the winter and now the summer games together, I'm sure his opinion would be similar.

When organising these, there is a lot of work that goes in and it should be the organisers right to decide what they want to spend their time on.

If Freiga doesn't want to participate, that's fine, though it would be for a trivial reason.

Send me a message!

Return to “Alliance Summer Games 2017”