Applications for the Cartography Committee

Moderator: Director of Economics

Zack

Applications for the Cartography Committee

Post by Zack » July 7th 2013, 6:17 am

Now that the Alliance Cartography Act has passed, we can begin taking applications for the two open positions on the new Cartography Committee. As stated in the Act, this new committee has five members - the President and Vice President of the Alliance (me and Ace), the Minister for Finance and Information (Seth), and two others whom I will appoint on Seth's advice. If you want to be a member of the Cartography Committee, this is the place to post an application.

Applicants for the Committee should be active AIN members with some knowledge of cartography and graphic design. Both full and junior members can apply. There is no minimum membership term required to serve on the Committee, so whether you've been an AIN member for two years or two days, you can apply. As members of the Committee, you will help decide almost all aspects of the AIN's official map (except for its projection, which the new Act mandates be the Mercator projection) - everything from its size, to color scheme, to fonts for labels, to the details included on it. Do you want there to be more than one official map - one with few details, one with lots of them? As members of the Committee, you'll be able to argue your case for why!

To apply, just fill out the following form. (I recommend quoting this post and deleting everything except the form.) Once we have a few applicants to choose from, Seth and I will decide whom to appoint. Due to the next general election being less than two months away, the applicants we appoint after this round of applications will serve on the Committee until 1 March 2014.

Cartography Committee Application Form

Username:

Which graphics programs are you familiar with?
What do you know about cartography?
Why should you be on the Cartography Committee?
Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN
Will

Re: Applications for the Cartography Committee

Post by Will » July 7th 2013, 6:35 am

Cartography Committee Application Form

Username:
Will
Which graphics programs are you familiar with? Inkscape, Photoshop, GIMP
What do you know about cartography? I know that Cartography is the study of making map and that is it a clear way of showing information, which is very important to the union.
Why should you be on the Cartography Committee? I have several ideas how the map should be created to best utilize the opportunity. I has always been fascinated by maps, I used to draw maps of fictional cities on paper, now I use digital mediums. I know what aspects the map will need and how best to incorporate them on the new Union Map. I have made maps using a vector program and it turned out okay didn't it?
YingBlanc

Post by YingBlanc » July 7th 2013, 12:47 pm

Username: YingBlanc
Which graphics programs are you familiar with? Paint.Net, Adobe Fireworks, Photoshop and anything else in the Adobe Package.
What do you know about cartography? it an age old study of map making to show information on geographical landmarks which can make travel and exploration much more easier as well as making statistics based on geographical areas, such as weather, cloud cover, temperature, etc.
Why should you be on the Cartography Committee? I am currently the AINSI of the Ministry of Finance and Statistics and I have the capabilities in graphics design to update the maps correctly, I have many ideas on different formats for the map, including a downloadable skin for Google Earth. I have always drawn maps, with a massive interest in them, and I know what is needed to make a correct, relevant, detailed map.
aranho
Nation: Ca'onja

Post by aranho » July 7th 2013, 1:43 pm

Username: Aranho
Which graphics programs are you familiar with? AutoCAD, PowerPoint, GIMP, Inkscape, Photoshop
What do you know about cartography? Cartography is simply the study of and designing maps of any kind, be it for political purposes or typographical purposes.
Why should you be on the Cartography Committee? Being a person that aspire to be an urban planner, cartography is one of the important aspect in achieving my dreams. Maps help me to understand the basic relationship of the city, as well as its connection to its surrounding and a country as a whole. With my exposure to urban planning and cartography, I believe that I am able to contribute to the Committee to design maps as an important informative tool and as balance between realism and roleplaying opportunities. You can view the maps I have created using various programs, and gauge if I have the potential to contribute fairly to this Committee.
WikiForum
jayguum

Post by jayguum » July 11th 2013, 8:07 am

Username: jayguum
Which graphics programs are you familiar with? Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator + i can learn any minor graphic design program if needed
What do you know about cartography? of course it's something about making a map :P , i don't have any specific explanation from myself, and i think Wikipedia can describe it so good. But
Why should you be on the Cartography Committee? My Discipline program on college is art & design, i think i can apply that for this purpose :)

NB : i really weak on Math & Formulas, don't accept my application if this purpose need these things :doh:
Zack

Post by Zack » August 3rd 2013, 2:00 am

Thank you all for applying, and for your patience in this application process. This first application period has now ended, and it is my pleasure to announce the first two appointees to the Catrography Committee.

In addition to me, Ace, and Seth, the first members of the Carotgraphy Committee are:
[spoiler]Will and YingBlanc![/spoiler]

Please join me in welcoming these two members to the new committee. I'm sure they'll both do a great job on the union's maps!
Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN
Fox
Nation: Illium

Post by Fox » August 3rd 2013, 2:02 am

Congrats to both of you.
Coming soon, new information.
Will

Post by Will » August 3rd 2013, 2:04 am

Thanks Zack! :D
RedAurora
Persona non grata
Persona non grata

Post by RedAurora » August 3rd 2013, 2:05 am

Congratulations, Ying and Will! :D
أراهن هذا جعلك تذهب إلى ترجمة جوجل
aranho
Nation: Ca'onja

Post by aranho » August 3rd 2013, 2:49 am

Congratulations to both Will and Ying. I'm sure the five of you will be able to do a great job in cartography. :)
WikiForum
YingBlanc

Post by YingBlanc » August 3rd 2013, 10:08 am

Thanks everybody and congrats to you Will :3
Charlie
Nation: New Duveland & Zambezi

Post by Charlie » August 3rd 2013, 10:15 am

Congrats Will & Ying! :D
Image Image Image Image
Piterdaw1