Cyrenaican Arab Republic

The declined or withdrawn applications are located here.
Ace

Cyrenaican Arab Republic

Post by Ace » December 22nd 2013, 5:32 am

Application for Cyrenaican Arab Republic to join the Alliance of Independent Nations

National Flag:

National Coat of Arms:

Nation Name (Longest Official Form): Cyrenaican Arab Republic - "الجمهورية العربية برقة"
Nation Name (Native Form): Cyrenaica, C.A.R- " برقة"
National Anthem: "The Kingdom Awaits"- "المملكة تنتظر"- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9Lyj2lWtds
National Motto: "In the Protection of God"- "في حماية الله"

Capital: Benghazi
Government: Dominant-Party Unitary Semi-Presidential State
Head(s) of State: Ahmad Idris III
President: Ahmad Idris III
Prime Minister: Abdullah Barakat
Offical Language(s): Arabic
Population: 6,385,479 (2012 Census)
Area: 586,513 Square Kilometers (226,453 Square Miles)
Density: 10.9 ppl/sq km 28.2 ppl/sq mi
Climate: Mediterannean/Saharan
GDP ($ PPP - Per Capita): $84.31 Billion ($ 13,204)
Currency: Cyrenaican Pound (CYP)
HDI: Image 0.642
Drives on the: Right

Major Natural Resources: Crude Oil and Natural Gas, Refined Petroleum, Gypsum, Iron Ore
Major Import/Export Partners: Libya, Italy, Tunisia, Egypt, Cattala? (TBD)
Main Industries: Mining, Hydrocarbon Related Industries

History:

~120,000 B.C.E: Early Human migrations into the region that is present-day Cyrenaica. Climate is less arid and more tropical.
~50,000-10,000 B.C.E: Old Stone Age/Paleolithic Era
~7,500 B.C.E: New Stone Age/Neolithic Era: Cattle Domestication and Crop Cultivation expand along many coastal and inland areas.
~3,500 B.C.E: Extremely primitive overland contact with Nile River Valley Civilizations in Nile Delta. Monsoons become more prominent in present-day Sub Saharan Africa and less in Northern Africa, resulting in more arid climates. Agriculture tends to be limited to coastal areas and mountainous terrain.
~630 B.C.E: Cyrene is founded as a Greek Settlement after having consulted the Oracle of Delphi, and establishes commerce with many Greek cities. Cyrene prospers due to the silphium plant and is one of the largest African cities by 400 B.C.E.
96 B.C.E: The Roman Empire peacefully obtains Cyrenaica. The slave trade becomes prominent.
20 B.C.E: Cyrenaica and Crete are united due to shared Greek heritage, allowing for a new province, Creta et Cyrenaica
476 C.E: Roman Empire has severely decreased in status. Region experiences sporadic Byzantine/Roman control.
642 C.E: U'mr ibn al-A's, under the command of the Caliph U'mr I, arrives in Cyrenaica. Base established at Barqa. Islam is introduced. A group of people known as "Berbers" resist political control by the Arabian Dynasties.
705 C.E: Islamic influence becomes widespread. Cyrenaica becomes part of the Umayyad Caliphate.
~1550 C.E: Ottoman Turks gain control of Cyrenaica after disputes with Spain over the Barbary Coast and the decline of former Berber Dynasties
1911-1912 C.E: Italy wins Cyrenaica from the declining Ottoman Empire. Senussi gain power (followers of a sect of Sunni Islam) after appealing to Bedouin tribesmen with a stricter yet simpler form of religious practice. Senussi tend to resent the Italian presence in the region. Italians immigrate into the region, bringing agricultural practice and some Italian customs.
1915 C.E: In need of infantry during World War I, Italian troops are withdrawn from the North African interior, resulting in only thinly-spread Italian control on coastal cities. Interior control temporarily returns to the Senussi.

Pictures:

TBC

Other Relevant Information:

Hey guys, just thought I should at least get to work on this. Not sure how long it will take, but this way both you and I can track my progress :P
This nation isn't entirely fictional. It's actually roughly based off: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emirate_of_Cyrenaica
Roleplay-wise it will be very similiar to Syria, or at least that's what I'm hoping for.

OH, and don't worry about it being wealthy. That picture above is the capital (whose name I'm deciding on), and is probably about as wealthy as it's gonna get. I am going to have a few mid-wealth areas though, since Egypt does, even though its GDPpc is lower.

Let the discussion begin :)
Will

Re: Cyrenaican Arab Republic

Post by Will » December 22nd 2013, 5:52 am

How about you actually base it on that nation and call the capital, Benghazi?

I don't really like the idea of taking half of Libya.
Ace

Post by Ace » December 22nd 2013, 5:55 am

Will wrote:How about you actually base it on that nation and call the capital, Benghazi?

I don't really like the idea of taking half of Syria.
First off it's half of Libya. Secondly, why would I want all of it? Libya is extremely important in global affairs, especilaly in regards to the United States. I want my own nation here. Recreations bore me. It's going to be inspired by Syria and Libya, but it would be lame to just copy them.
Will

Post by Will » December 22nd 2013, 6:04 am

So you're just going to take the territory and disregard the history and current events.

If I recall, Benghazi was very important in the Libyan Civil War.
Ace

Post by Ace » December 22nd 2013, 6:10 am

Will, anywhere you try to place a mid-sized nation of your own on AIN Earth, there is indubitably going to be some conflict. I'm not going to point fingers at anyone, but AIN Earth's current geography hinders many modern world nations economically. I doubt me taking Benghazi is going to be much of a pain politically, especially considering no one seems to have roleplayed with this city in particular that I know of.
Fox
Nation: Illium

Post by Fox » December 22nd 2013, 6:22 am

The picture looks great, love the flag too.

Can't wait to see some more details and more pictures.

Good to see you back too.
Coming soon, new information.
InvaderNat
Nation: Neu Westfalen

Post by InvaderNat » December 22nd 2013, 7:30 am

It looks fine to me. Libya under Gaddafi could've still existed without the eastern half, since Libya was quite a closed and isolated nation under his regime anyway. Hence Libya isn't really integral to late 20th century history. Likewise, editing out the Libyan civil isn't going to 'break' world history either. I'm fine with applications that use real world land, as long as they don't take over it's capital, biggest city or leave it landlocked. Cyrenaica doesn't do any of these. :up:

Flag, COA and first picture looks good, although you may want to terraform that harbour a bit so the boats aren't floating. :P Looking forward to having Ace back in AIN. 8)
Charlie
Nation: New Duveland & Zambezi

Post by Charlie » December 22nd 2013, 7:38 am

Looks good, love the first pic! Looking forward to more! :P
I agree with Nat, it should be fine in it's current location.

The capital could either be Benghazi or Bayda. :P
Image Image Image Image
Hiigar
Nation: Hiigara

Post by Hiigar » December 22nd 2013, 10:07 am

Looks good to me :p as has planned to make a nation like that there :p and close neighbors. And first Arabic nation that will take part in Europe also check hiigara sub forum, there is Cyrenaica there :p and I believe that you don't need to repeat Libya
RedAurora
Persona non grata
Persona non grata

Post by RedAurora » December 22nd 2013, 4:02 pm

I agree with Ace. Libya can still exist and keep the majority of its history without the eastern half. Even though it seems to be a large change when you look at the map, it's not really large when you look at Libya's history and statistics. So, I'm in favour of this application and the direction in which it is going. :D Great job, Ace!
أراهن هذا جعلك تذهب إلى ترجمة جوجل
Ace

Post by Ace » December 22nd 2013, 4:34 pm

InvaderNat wrote: although you may want to terraform that harbour a bit so the boats aren't floating.
Actually that's just my water-mod which runs transparent near beaches :P
-looks at Hiigaran subforum- Oh shoot, did not see that. 0_o-Good thing it was a Side project. Now we can start something on a larger scale :devil: Unless you wish for me to move somewhere else?
Thank you all so much for your support!
RedAurora
Persona non grata
Persona non grata

Post by RedAurora » December 22nd 2013, 7:20 pm

I'm personally fine with Cyrenaica and I really like this app as it is, as I said earlier today, but just a suggestion: Have you considered Tripolitania instead? It's smaller than Cyrenaica but it has greater population and would perhaps have higher living standards. It's more Mediterranean-like and isn't as much desert-y as Cyrenaica. :P
Thomas
Nation: Cattala

Post by Thomas » December 22nd 2013, 8:28 pm

I fully support this application and would love to work with you to develop an intricate trading partnership between Cyrenaica and Cattala, as well as historic ties between our nations.
Member of the AIN: 7 February 2010 - 1 January 2015
Permanent Administrator: 5 June 2010 - 1 April 2013
Second President of the Alliance: 17 September 2010 - 22 September 2011
Ace

Post by Ace » December 22nd 2013, 8:33 pm

Emir: I have considered this, but I would rather stick with Cyrenaica. I personally like the vast desert. I've increased the population of it to about double what it currently is as I do plan to make more small towns and I would like to overcrowd it a bit (since it is a sovreign nation now if this passes). Also, I actually think it has a very Mediterranean climate as well, especially towards the Al-Bayda region and Al-Haniyah area.

Thanks Thomas! :)
RedAurora
Persona non grata
Persona non grata

Post by RedAurora » December 22nd 2013, 8:40 pm

Ah well, I see your logic. :D Cyrenaica is also a really good choice. In fact, Fezzan is the only region in Libya that I would be worried about if you made it a country. :P

Well, thanks for your response. :D

Return to “Declined Applications”